Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Best of September

I have to say that I LOVE SUMMER.  It always makes me sad when summer ends as it means the start of the wind down to winter.   In our neck of the woods, winter goes on and on and on and really wears out its welcome. Even though I do love the beautiful colours on the trees and I look forward to Thanksgiving up at the cottage in the fall, I still mourn the passing of summer. 
  
 
With that in mind, I thought I would try something different this year to help me focus on the brightest and best of each month and each season.  After all there are some months coming up that I just don't like very much - no offence November, it's just the way it is.  So this way I'll look for things to enjoy about each month and season of the year.

Melissa at The Inspired Room is having a Fall Nesting Party on September 8th to get our collective minds switching from summer to fall.  I thought this was a good opportunity to list the top 10 things I'm looking forward to in September. 


1.  Beautiful fall leaves
 
2. The abundance of fresh produce available in September - corn, tomatoes, peaches, pears, apples...
 
 
3.  Crisp clear cool weather.  This means that I will finally be able to walk Juno without needing to wet her down first so she doesn't get overheated, but the temperature will still be warm enough so we don't need coats.

4.  Cooking stews and soups again now that the days are cooler.


5. Wearing tights, sweaters, and scarves again.

6.  Flocking birds getting ready to migrate.  I love seeing huge flocks of birds and I've been dying to take some photos of birds sitting on a wire against a pretty sky, so this is my month to do it. (I know this little Goldfinch is only sort of relevant, but I enjoyed watching him in the garden a few days ago, so had to include him in the September photos).



 7. Buying a new agenda.   I'm off tomorrow morning to get my agenda which I'm very excited about.  Two years ago I found a turquoise one and last year mine was a celery green colour.  I'm hoping for a new, but equally lovely colour this year.




8.  Japanese lanterns ripening.

 
9. Using our blown-glass pumpkin as a centrepiece on the table. We purchased this pumpkin several years ago in a gallery in Elora and love having it out on the table every fall.  I rushed home from work today to set out our fall decorations so I could snap a few photos while there was still some natural light.


10.  Last, but definitely not least - Kate is coming home from camp at the end of September.  We haven't seen her since the beginning of July as she has been working at a camp out in Manitoba.  It will be great to see her! 

Just to get us all in the mood for fall, here are a few more photos of our table decorations.



 


How about you?  What things are you looking forward to in September?
 

Linked to:
A Touch of Fall at Pure Style Home
The 3rd Annual Fall Nesting Party at The Inspired Room

13 comments:

  1. Hi Grace!

    I find embracing the seasons helps get through the upcoming cold. I hang out flags each month - this month it's a cute apple picking one. Halloween is an all time favorite holiday, so I have a large collection of decorations.
    And, there's something wonderful about that first crisp morning!
    xo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not ready for this yet! I think I will be ready in about 2 weeks... or, at least I will accept the season then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is helping me be okay with today, I have been so flat and NOT happy today I guess it's just that fall is here and summer is over, I love summer too!!
    xo
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Grace. I love fall! I love the thought of roasts in the oven and lots of baking. It's really beautiful here on the island in the fall so i'm hoping to get lots of photos. But like you winter does go on and on . Here it will be damp and rain! I hate to say it but i will surely miss my snowstorms!! I love a good snowstorm...when I'm by my fireplace that is!lol !
    I love your pumpkin!
    Thank god for blogging ...it will get us through the winter!
    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your glass blown pumpkin...it is so pretty! Great post! One thing I look forward to in September are fresh apples. I love the snap of a fresh apple when you bite into it! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes so many wonderful things to look forward to!! Thanks for sharing and joining the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many fun things - this is the fall that I tackle how to wear a scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your centerpiece is so pretty. I've never seen a piece like that before.

    So much to love in September. I think some of us are especially eager for September because this summer has been so hot and humid. I'm so happy with the cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your gorgeous pictures make me so excited for fall and sweaters and coats and snow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm ready for fall! I mourn the passing of summer too but fall is just a beautiful time where I live. Everything is so crisp and clear and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am with you. Though I love the colors of fall, I still love summer, heat and all. The saddist thing is that our humming birds will be leaving this week or next and that always makes me sad. But I know how joyful I will be next spring as they return! Any one for hibernating?

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I happen to love fall, it is my favorite season of the year, but summer is a close second. I will take it over winter any day of the week. But I love the colors of fall and the crispness that is in the air,plus all the good comforting foods of fall.

    Great photos you shared, I really love the Japanese lanterns. One of my favorite things of fall.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fall is my favorite season, but it helps to find good in all of them as you have done. I'll have to remember this in the dead of winter, LOL!
    I love that glass pumpkin and how the light shines through it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete