Sunday, February 6, 2011

The King's Speech Set Locations

I just saw the movie The King's Speech and loved it.  Not only was it a wonderful portrayal of the difficulties of living with a stutter, it highlighted my chosen profession, was historically accurate, and was visually beautiful.


The speech therapist worked out of run-down office with the most amazing walls layered with plaster and bits of peeling wallpaper. 


The walls had the most gorgeous colours of ochre, browns, greens, and blues - the same colours used in Helena Bonham Carter's clothes as the Duchess of York.


I did a bit of Googling and discovered where they filmed this scene (you can read the complete Guardian article here).  Apparently the actual rooms that Logue, the Speech Therapist, practiced in were too small for filming so they used a building just a block away at 33 Portland Place in London.  This lovely townhome was built in 1775 and was designed by Robert Adams, one of the greatest designers of the period.  The house retains many of its original features and is now used for parties and receptions.  Thirty-three Portland Place had an unused vaulted room with large leaded-glass windows at one end and sky lights allowing the room to have more light which worked perfectly as the Speech Therapist's office.  The room had an interesting wall covered in distressed browns and oranges and one area that was covered in partially removed oil-infused wallpaper.  The production designer loved the look and recreated it across all the walls.  



Amazingly, 33 Portland Place not only had the worn shabby room perfect for the depression-era Speech Therapist's office, but it also had many lovely reception rooms (eight in all) that were used in the film as the Duke and Duchess's home before Edward VIII abdicated.  You can see in the photos below the ornate rooms used as the royal residence and the room used as the Speech Therapist's office.   

 


Apparently Lancaster House was used as a subsitute for Buckingham Palace.   The overly ornate setting of Lancaster House worked well in the film as it contrasted with the scruffy, smoggy street scenes and the worn Speech Therapist's office.   Only a few scenes were filmed at Lancaster House, a couple of which you can see below.

Cinema Style

Cinema Style
One of my favourite scenes was the party at Balmoral Castle in Scotland with all the dark wood and browns and blues and tartans, but I was unable to find any photos from this part of the film.  I did find a picture of the gorgeous tartan worn by the King at the party.

X Marks the Scot

Anyone else see the movie?  What did you think of the worn wall in the Speech Therapist's office?

15 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to go back to Montréal so I can see this film. We do not have any English films and I really prefer viewing these original titles in their original language. Dubbing is not fun! I have heard great things about this film....did you see Black Swan?? If not, it is a must-see as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we had offices like that now. I could work with that wall in a historical office like that. The character of the space is beautiful. Also nice to see our profession spotlighted. We have a terrible shortage in parts of the states and could use some new recruits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this film and spent a fair bit of it paying more attention to that wall than the movie. I can see that look instead of exposed brick or concrete on a feature wall. Beautifully done, especially with the sparse furniture. Had the room had any more furnishings I don't think it would have been nearly as striking.

    Thankyou for the behind the scenes info...I love to know all about the bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that movie and what I loved was the couch in that room. I told my husband there are a lot of bloggers that could make that look new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it!!! The clothes, the wall the decor.....the actors...fabulous.
    I was at Glen Eagles once when Diana and Charles were first married and having a New Year Dinner (not actually at the dinner), one of the porters snuck me in to see the table settings....it was like a movie set...absolutely stunning, they do have incredible architecture and design in their buildings in Europe. I can only image Balmoral Castle would be the same....
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really wanting to see this movie! Glad to hear it is great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must see the movie. I am surrounded by speech pathologists so I really must see it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched the movie last night and it was so well done. Of course "the wall" was so stunning. It added so much intellectual sophistication to the film, it almost felt like it was one of the characters in the film! (to me anyway). The entire film was filled with the most beautiful architecture and the street scene of the two men briskly walking - somewhere, as men were raking shrubs and grass was so beautiful Ahh! So well done. Would you happen to know what area in England that street is?
    You have such a keen sense of colour to see the wall paint chips in other areas of the sets and clothing! Touché to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article. Thanks for collecting so much information about this great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The film is one that is unforgettable.
    It's an inspiring encapsulation of drama, inner-strength, intelligence, humor, and clever wit - as well as a great true story and great acting. The set design and other visuals are so well thought out. The "wall" (see the film), is almost a character in itself.
    It should be a special film for elementary school children to watch.

    JT

    ReplyDelete
  11. FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!
    I loved those walls, and was worried that I might be the only freak noticing the walls! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post Grace! I actually was distracted by that wall. Liked the colours but it seemed too raw and unfinished for a therapist's office to me. I did get more used to it as the film went on though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seen a wall with so much LIFE!!
    Not since Monet has there ever been a 'painting' that captured All of the emotion, exuberance and depth of the Human Spirit!
    Please, if anyone is ever able to capture this masterpiece in a computer wallpaper let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there, you posted some paint chips (along with names and numbers) but when I looked them up -- they don't seem to apply to a manufacturer! Who made the paint hues you posted?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unfortunately I have no idea what company makes those paint chips. I got them through a feature on Big Huge Labs (http://bighugelabs.com/) called the Colour Palette generator and they don't say what company's paint chips they are. It's a pity they don't as it would be a useful feature for matching paint colours.

    ReplyDelete