Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Beet Salad

On the weekend I tried a new salad recipe.  I wanted to make something light and healthy for lunch with our friends who we hadn't seen in awhile.  Don't you love having a good visit with long-time friends?  It's the best - as is making a new recipe that turns out to be a winner.  The beet salad was a big hit so I thought I would share the recipe with you (and let's be honest - I might want to make it again so I need to have it on my blog so I know where to find it).  


Ingredients:
mixed baby greens
4-6 beets (depending on the size and how much you like beets)
150 gm (about 5 oz) chèvre (a mild goat cheese)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons maple syrup

Dressing:
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup virgin olive oil

Method:
1.  Scrub beets, trim ends, cover with water and boil for 45-60 minutes depending on their size.  Beets are done when you can insert a fork into them.
2.  Drain and cool beets.  When they are cool rub them with your fingers or scrape them with the edge of a knife to remove the skin.  Cut into wedges or slices.
3.  Place walnuts in a frying pan and cook over medium-low heat until they just start to toast.  Then add the maple syrup and cook a minute longer until they are coated and the liquid is absorbed.
4.  Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
5.  To serve, put greens on plate, add beets, chopped cheese, and walnuts.  Drizzle with the dressing.
 

I know some people don't like beets, but we love them.  I often make borscht or boil up some beets to accompany a meat and potatoes dinner, but this was my first time making a beet salad.  Are beets something you like?
Pin It

Linked to Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm

1 comment:

  1. I love all of the ingredients in this salad, so definitely my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete