Thursday, March 28, 2013

Life Imitates Art

When I looked through the almost 1400 photos I took of New York City I noticed that some of the art we saw in the galleries reminded me of some of the scenes we saw around the city.

This red, blue, and yellow painting by Mondrian that we saw at the MOMA reminded me of ...

MOMA
this picture taken out the window of the MOMA with the red, blue, and yellow vehicles. 


This moody painting of Westminster by Monet at the Metropolitan Museum of Art reminded me of ...

Metropolitan Museum of Art
the soft moody view we had of the Manhattan skyline from the Staten Island ferry.


And this gorgeous floor mosaic at the Met reminded me of ...


the Imagine mosaic at Strawberry Fields in Central Park.



And this Egyptian tile at the Met reminded me of ...


the skyscrapers reflected in the windows of other skyscrapers.


Wowzer!  I know the last week has been New York City overload on this little blog, but I just couldn't help myself.  It was such a fun trip for all of us and I enjoyed re-living it.  I appreciate your indulgence.  In case you missed any of the posts you can check them out here, here, and here.

And one last New York tidbit: 
When William and I were on the Staten Island Ferry we were debating whether there are any marine mammals living in the New York harbour.  So I Googled it when we got home and was pleased to discover that there are.  In fact we just missed seeing a dolphin as you can read about here on the blog called Nature on the Edge of New York.  I wanted to tell you about this blog because it is such an interesting read. I spent one evening reading back through his posts about all the birds and marine creatures he has found in and around New York City.  Who knew?  If you live anywhere near New York you might find this a really interesting blog to read.

Pin It

Linked to Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now

4 comments:

  1. Great eye! I always find NYC to be sensory overload. You've managed to capture some of the fun details around the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos and comparison photos. I saw a Mondrian in Minneapolis at the MIA and it was so much more beautiful in person than in photos. I'm going to check out that NY nature blog. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, you clearly have a great eye. I salute you.......or, as we opera buffs would say, "Brava!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your posts! I grew up on the East Coast and I never tire of photos and stories. And you have a great eye for design. Love your takes on the photos you took. :) Kit

    ReplyDelete