Friday, September 12, 2014

Curry Chicken Burgers


I only sort of like hamburgers and enjoy them no more than maybe once a year, so when I was shown this recipe for Chicken Burgers I was only lukewarm about it. Until I heard they had south Asian flavouring and came highly recommended. I can't agree more - they tasted fantastic. The spices were just right. 

I had to adapt the original recipe because I didn't have all the same spices, but the chicken burgers were so delicious that I didn't want to risk losing or forgetting about the recipe so I'm posting it right away.

Although the recipe said to cook the burgers for 10-12 minutes, I used my meat thermometer (stuck in one of the burgers sideways) and it wasn't registering 165F after 12 minutes of cooking so I cooked them a few minutes longer. There's no fooling around with raw chicken so I would advise using a thermometer to make sure.

Ingredients:
454 gm (1lb) ground chicken
1 egg
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method:
1. Mix all ingredients together.
2. Shape into 4 patties.
3  Cook in a frying pan turning once, for about 13-15 minutes until a meat thermometer registers 165F.



We skipped the bun and I served the chicken burgers with tzatziki, sliced tomatoes, and a couscous salad. I know, I know, holy fusion cooking, but man did it taste great!


Do you have big plans for the weekend?  This is going to be a low-key-get-things-organized kind of weekend and I'm so looking forward to it.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea for burgers. We are looking forward to a low key weekend too!

    char@marshallhousematters.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are quite low in calories obviously. I just need to figure out a way around the bread crumbs but that is not hard.
    I always love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete